Saturday, January 26, 2008

Assignment 1: Visceral, Behavioral and Reflective aspects...

Now, talking about the 3 terms visceral, behavioral and reflective, the first item that came to my my is a can opner. I don't exactly know why but it just came SHOOOOOOOOOOO into my mind... Anyways these are the 3 different types of can opener that i have used before and is most common to everyone.


Visceral: The Army Opener



Well this isn't really the Army can opener but somehow it gives me this feeling... Haha...


Behavioral: Small, not easy to use, requires alot of strength


Visceral: Very army-like, cute, cool, portable.


Reflective: Won't use if given a choice, not effective and not efficient, not cheap



Behavioral: The Snap Opener
With the appearance like a normal scissor, one got to snap the "teeth" of this opener into the top of the can before starting to open the can.

Behavioral: Fast, easy to use, efficient.

Visceral: "present" look, simple.

Reflective: Not easy to handle if one has no experience with it before, not fun to play with.


Reflective: The ALL Opener


Other than the normal functions of a normal can opener, it has other useful functions as well.

Behavioral: Multipurpose, easy to use.

Visceral: high-tech, cool.

Reflective: Not a very common thing that we can see in most homes, light and fool-proof.



Reflections

As we can see, there are many products in the market and yet even more varieties of the same product. I feel that these variations are targeted at different people.

For instance, the "Army Opener" may be targeted at people who travel alot and requires a small and portable can opener. On the other hand, the "Spear of Poseidon" may be used by people of the older generation who do not like changes and are used to the "old fashioned" can opening style whereas the "Snap Opener" is more for the younger generations like us who can't open a freaking can for nuts if we were to use the "Spear of Poseidon".

I believed that the different appearances, as discussed in class, served different purposes in attracting and affecting the emotion of different people groups and hence "convinced" them to buy and use it.

For me, I think I'll choose the "Army Opener" 'cos i find it really quite fun to "play" with, although very troublesome.

Oh well, and if all else fails and you desperately needs to open a can, call "1800-122-OpenCan" and this guy will come help you with it... =X

"I am your Father! Give me the can and ANY can opener... I will open the can!"


No comments: